When a couple is divorced, they can enter into a financial agreement to determine how assets such as money and property should be distributed. If both parties agree, it is generally possible to avoid the court, but if an agreement cannot be reached, then the couple will usually attend a mediation meeting and could appear in court. As long as your divorce proceedings are in place, your lawyer will draft an approval decision that must be filed in court, along with an application for a financial order. To do this, you and your ex-partner must sign the forms and pay a $50 fee in court. If the judge allows it, the financial agreement becomes legally binding. The Family Act of 1975 provides for parties to a marriage or, de facto, to enter into a binding legal agreement on financial arrangements in the event of a breakdown of their marriage or de facto relationship. Sometimes people know these agreements as « marital agreements, » but the legal term is « financial arrangements. » One of the key themes of implementing your binding financial agreement is to ensure that it is effectively binding. We will review inheritance protection agreements, international financial agreements and international financial conventions, as well as third parties. You can apply the Family Court or the Federal Court to financial decisions. For more information, see « If you don`t agree on real estate and finance. » When binding financial agreements were first introduced in 2000, the law called them Binding Financial Agreements, but they were only available to married people. For reasons known only to those who drafted the legislation, the word « compulsory » has been dropped and, since 2008, they are simply known as « financial agreements ». You can get a financial agreement before, during or after a marriage or a de facto relationship. These agreements may apply: to discuss with an experienced lawyer in Brisbane the development of a de facto legally binding matrimonial or financial agreement, call (07) 3231 2444.